The Alexander Technique is a deceptively simple mindfulness practice that has profound effects on mind and body. The Technique is based on the belief that every human being was born to move with grace and ease. Through living, working, and struggling, we develop unconscious tension patterns that interfere with that grace and ease. Using the Alexander Technique, one gains awareness and understanding of the inefficient and possibly harmful patterns of tension we carry. Awareness opens up the possibility of choice. We can choose a new way of being in the world, one that is in concert with the body’s natural fluidity and ease. When we move with nature instead of against it, we reclaim our childlike sense of freedom and joy through movement. The results can be amazing.
Here are some ways it might help you:
- Find relief from chronic back pain and other musculoskeletal pain, including repetitive strain injuries. Prevent future pain episodes.
- Learn skills you can use every day to help you manage tension, stress, and pain
- Improve your posture
- Regain an inner sense of presence and poise
- Look and feel more confident
- Bring a new awareness and liveliness to your yoga practice and encourage prana flow
- Improve your performance in the arts or athletics
- Know yourself better. Experience a hands-on approach to consciousness.
This new way of moving and being in the world is largely communicated through touch in an Alexander lesson. Contact is always gentle and supportive, with clear intention and deep respect for boundaries.